Saturday, February 20, 2010

Asking Forgiveness

I was in a hectic moment in the kitchen when the phone rang the other day. I picked it up, and the lady said I hadn't signed where I needed to sign when David got his immunization, so I would need to come in and do that. No big deal, right?

Well, it WAS a big deal. Right at that moment, thinking about all I had to do anyway, kids asking questions and I'm distracted by twelve things at once. An unexpected additional trip to go sign something I already signed...put me over the edge. I was really rude to this poor lady on the phone. "Can't I give permission over the phone? I don't know what day I can come in." I hung up the phone and thought to myself, "I just sounded like a NUT. She said I could come in at my convenience, it's not that far away, and...why was I so short with her?"

Plus (and this one made me cringe)...I'd have to FACE her when I went in to sign the paper.

I went in the next day. "Hi, I'm here to sign my paper." (swallow all pride) "And I'm sorry for being so rude on the phone yesterday. I sounded like a nut. It was just bad timing, and I shouldn't even have picked up the phone."

The other lady in the office said, "It's okay. We all do it...especially when you have kids."

I can't tell you what a relief it was, that they were so pleasant about it.

Do I forgive like that, or do I hold grudges?

Unfortunately I'm afraid it's often the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment