Tuesday, January 14, 2014

New Year, Finding Direction

I have not posted on this blog for quite some time.  I was trying to figure out the purpose, or put some meaning behind it.  The very title of the blog, "To Live Deliberately," implies thought and careful consideration.  Not haphazard flailing. Not frivolity.  Thought. Deliberation. Meaning. Purpose.

I would like to join another blogger on her journey this year.  I follow the blog Daily Closer to Christ, and Emily is exploring this year how to listen to and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  How to hear those things the Lord would have you hear. How to act when you feel inspired to do something. How to be of service to someone else when maybe you alone can help them in a specific way.

So this week's lesson talks about getting out of your comfort zone. If we are never uncomfortable, then we have no need of the Comforter.  So doing something for someone else, that is perhaps outside of your comfort zone, can be a good thing.

I have been tutoring for 5 years at the same schools. I like the children, and many of the teachers. But I have been wondering if I should try to change jobs, just to shake things up some.  I'll admit sometimes I let myself get a little bored. What I keep coming back to is, I have the perfect job. Part-time, close to home, it's just right for my current life stage. So maybe the "shaking things up" part can be me, opening up and looking around at the good people around me. How can my interaction with them make their lives better? How can I be a good influence and share a little more of myself with them? Then I can be more available to reach out when there is a need.

This week's lesson/reminder in Daily Closer to Christ is about listening to the Holy Spirit when he speaks to you. "Never Postpone a Prompting." You can be of service to someone. Now.

Since my neighbor's Christmas party (a month ago), I have been thinking of a story I wanted to send along to a few of the friends there. Nothing even spiritual or earth-shattering. Just light. But I've put it off. Today, I sent the story. I got a response from one neighbor who said "this reminded me that your daughter came up in a conversation with so-and-so..." and she asked if my daughter would be interested in babysitting for this other lady.

This was not life-changing or profound. But it does remind me that sometimes we may be inspired to do something and that something will make a connection for someone in a way we would never have thought of. It may seem completely unrelated. But the connection can be made.

The Lord knows the Big Picture. We can never see it: we have blinders on, just naturally. So we must rely on Him to lead us to the people we need to influence or interact with. Or maybe he leads other people to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment